Where To Obtain The Latest Resource Kits
Last Updated: 26 Apr 2004
*** PLEASE NOTE: Link(s), If Provided, May Be Wrapped ***
It is imperative that you possess the Windows NT/2000/XP
Resource Kit if you really want to administer multiple
systems in any sort of efficient fashion.
You *can* get by without it, but you will feel so much
more powerful with it in your possession. The best copy
to obtain is the Server version, since it contains a
superset of all of the utilities in the Workstation
version, and it has the text of the Workstation Edition
in HELP format.
Yes, it is more expensive that the Workstation Edition,
but it is definitely worth it for the tools and the books.
The supplemental versions of the Server editions do not
generally come with any books. You can also obtain these
tools through a TechNet or MSDN Subscription.
If you're feeling special, get both editions, but use the
utilities for the Server Edition.
Every now and then a Supplemental version comes out that
expands a little bit on the text, but usually results in
a quite a few more useful utilities or updates to original
utilities. Try to keep up with the latest Supplemental.
Here are the current versions of the Resource Kits:
• NT4 .................... Supplemental 4
• Windows 2000 ........... Supplemental One
• WinXP .................. Second Edition
• Windows 2003 ........... Original
Unlike the OS Service Packs, the Supplementals for the
Resource Kit are NOT always cumulative.
For example, there are a few utilities in Supp2 that are
not available anywhere else, and Supp4 leaves out the
PowerToys of Supp3. Technically, Supp4 is only an upgrade
and looks for a previous version, although you can persuade
the installation to continue regardless.
If you install Supp2 and Supp4 (of the Server Edition),
you will have all of the tools with the exception of the
PowerToys, which can be downloaded from Microsoft's FTP
NOTE: The Windows 2000, XP and 2003 CDs have a folder
called SUPPORT that contains a number of utilites
that were originally available only in the NT4
RESOURCE KIT INFO
OTHER MICROSOFT RESOURCE KITS
MSDN & TECHNET
ACCOUNT LOCKOUT AND MANAGEMENT TOOLS
WHERE TO ORDER
• http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5555.asp (Windows 2003)
• http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6795.asp (WinXP 2nd Edition)
• http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5566.asp (WinXP)
• http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/1394.htm (Win2K)
• http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/4994.htm (Win2K Supp1)
• http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/580.htm (NT4)
• http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/3628.htm (NT4 Supp4)
WHERE TO SEARCH
• Be sure to install the Support Tools from the CD
(\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SETUP.EXE) as well.
• If you have an TechNet or MSDN subscription, you will
automatically get all the tools without the books.
• Microsoft provides some of the Resource Kit tools on
their website for free, but you will have to pay for
one of the editions (Workstation or Server) if you
want ALL of the tools.
• The Resource Kit for Server 2003 is available for
download from Microsoft's website